Header

Image Map

Saturday 25 August 2012

Plus Size Polyvore

I have been opened up to a new world of fashion inspiration though the Internet. I often wish that some of the current social networking sites were around when I was younger. It took a while for me to develop my own sense of style and learn what looked best on me.
Two that have changed the way I interact with fashion are Pinterest and Polyvore. Both of these sites have shown me that there is a world of beautiful fashion available to the plus sized woman. In this post I want to talk about the influence Polyvore has had on me and the way I dress.

For those who are not already familiar with this site, Polyvore is  'the web's largest fashion community site, where users are empowered to discover their style and set trends around the world'. On this site users can put together inspiration boards that depict an outfit. You can use a catalogue of clothing and accessories that is on the site, or you can add images from websites for any brands not in the catalogue. You can also browse sets that other users have created.

This site is not necessarily aimed at plus sized fashion. However I have found it a great source of inspiration. Here is how it has helped me:

Browsing through the sets of outfits of other users has shown me how important accessories are. I have always known that adding a necklace or earrings can really lift an outfit. However through Polyvore I have seen that they can also be what pulls an outfit together, and makes it go from nice to wow!

I have learnt new ways to put together some of my pieces of clothing. I really love it when I come across a set that uses a few pieces of clothing that may be similar to items I already own. This then shows me a great way I can pull together a new outfit using items I already have in my closet.

pink flowers


( This outfit is plain unitl you add the bag, necklace and bangles!)

I have discovered new brands. When I see something I love I often check what brand it has come from. This leads me to a new brand that I may not have heard of before.

Given me new direction when buying clothes. I am learning to identify what pieces might be able to work in a variety of ways to put together different looks. I also am able to attempt to find the 'look' for less. This gives me greater direction, and discretion, when I am out shopping for new clothing. Now I look at an item and try to think of different ways I can wear it with other pieces I already own.

Because not everyone is size 0


(I own items similar to this outfit, so I can recreate this look)
I piece together my own boards, which allows me to further explore my own sense of style. I have started putting together my own inspiration boards. I am slowly building my 'library' of items that resemble items that I already own. Then I am able to put together outfits using mostly what I already own, as well as some other items I don't own.

Wedding Chic

(I used this set to 'brainstorm' an outfit I wanted to wear to a wedding)

If you haven't checked out Polyvore make sure you do. I hope it inspires you as much as it has me!

- Sister Pear

No comments :

Post a Comment