Header

Image Map

Tuesday 25 March 2014

Souffle Omelette

I love to cook. It is something that I do quite well. I also love to eat!  However, I am also pretty time poor. It is not always easy to cook something yummy when you are juggling two children, or when you are working. I think I have become the master of cooking yummy, nutritious food that is also quick to prepare.

I like to cook using as many basic, unprocessed ingredients as possible. I no longer use packet mixes, and rarely use ready-made sauces. I just like knowing what goes into my food, and I also find there is too much salt in many packet mixes. I have recently been diagnosed with insulin resistance, and I am having two carbohydrate free days a week on the recommendation of my dietitian. So, most of the food I make is cooked from scratch.I don't think this means it has to be time consuming though.

I have decided that I would share some of my favourite recipes with you. For the next few weeks I will share 2 recipes a week with you. The focus on these recipes will be healthy and made from scratch.

My first recipe that I will share is one of my favourite breakfasts. I eat this on my carb free days as it is high in protein, tasty and filling. It also looks super impressive. The quantity for this is for one. If you want to make more than one omelette I would just repeat the process for each omelette you want to make, so you ensure the quantities are right.Otherwise, this is a treat best made just for yourself.


2 eggs - separated
2 tablespoons Milk
Salt & Pepper to taste

Filling
2 Ham slices
1/4 cup shredded cheese
1 handful washed spinach leaves

Put a non-stick frypan that has a lid on to medium heat (I actually use a non-stick flat bottomed wok)

In one bowl quickly whisk the egg yolks and milk until combined. In another bowl whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the yolks into the whites and fold through.

Spray the fry pan with oil. Pour the mixture into fry pan. Put the lid on and cook for 2 minutes and let it cook. The base will turn golden while the eggwhites will puff up. Take the lid off and put the remaining ingredients on one half of the omelette. Put the lid back on and let it cook for another 1-2 minutes.

When you are ready to serve slide a egg flipper under the omelette. It should be able to slide easily. Lift one half of the omelette while tilting the pan slightly and fold the omelette in half. Slide it off onto a plate and enjoy.

You can add some hot buttered toast to make it extra filling.






No comments :

Post a Comment